A slightly less traditional gajar halwa recipe. Partially inspired by Jane Jojo's carrot halwa recipe.Halve the amount of coconut milk for a faster but less creamy dessert. Halve the number of raisins and cashews if using as a garnish instead of mixing in.
- Grate carrots (2 or 3) with fine grater/zester.
- Heat coconut oil with medium high heat. Once oil is hot but not smoking, add cashews.
- Flip cashews and remove from pan once both sides are browned (about 1 minute).
- Once cashews are removed from pan, add raisins and cook for a minute or two.
- Remove raisins from pan and set aside with cashews.
- Add grated carrots and stir in coconut oil for a few seconds. Pour in coconut milk and cook on high heat.
- Once carrot and coconut mixture starts to bubble, mix in cardamom and brown sugar and turn heat to medium. Stir occasionally.
- Once the coconut milk has been absorbed/evaporated (may take a while depending on amount of liquid), turn the heat down and cook for a few minutes more, stirring/flipping carrot occasionally.
- Turn off the heat and mix the cashews and raisins into the carrot mixture.